Search This Blog

Loading...

Saturday, November 5, 2011

Frozen Adventures, Fuzz Busting and Fat Apples

The grass was white this morning, a crunchy frost glistening in the morning sun.
We bundled up and took a short ride to our other woods.
The past two days have been non-stop begging from the girl to go back and see the horses. She led the way, tramping through the freezing wood lot. Sadly her friends were not in sight.
Determined, the girly clicked her tongue and whistled, and breaking over the hill came her friend.
It couldn't have been better scripted in a movie. He saw the girly and ran toward us, his companions pounding across the cold ground behind him.
They put on a brilliant display of agility, running around the field as the leaves flew from under their feet.
And then the beasts walked gingerly over to greet us.
We stayed in the woods for over an hour feeding our friends new apples and organic carrots. Massive animals that were delicate and grateful for the morning snack.

Mr. Blondee has known the horses owner since he was just a boy. Seeing the girly's delight over the animals and her distinct favourism to one in particular (they all look the same to me!) had him mention to me that maybe in a couple of years when the girly is a little older we could talk to the owner about selling that one particular horse.
I am thinking Mr. Blondee has forgotten this day.
I will have to think on it. I know the girly would be thrilled, even the boy has said he wouldn't be opposed to a horse. I am thinking I am outnumbered. We came home and after dinner Mr. Blondee went to work. Lately our days have been so hectic, laundry has definitely been stacking up in my ironing pile. I spent three hours ironing this afternoon...talk about instant gratification!! I know have piles of beautifully pressed laundry ready to be put away. That had me moving on to sweaters. I cannot stand pilled sweaters. Every fall when I get them out I go through the same routine to ensure they look their best.
See the loose fibers?
Gently glide a cheap razor over the pilled areas.
Don't use too much pressure or you will cut the yarn.
Just a few quick strokes and all that fuzz is gone! No money thrown away on 'sweater shavers'....I think I have said several times I do not like to spend money on single use tools!

And my sweater looks brand new for the 5th or 6th year in a row....not sure how long I've had it. :)
Another sweater storage tip...clear plastic garment bags with zip tops. I place a steamed sweater in the bag, slide a hanger through the handle hole and hang in the closet. Sweaters are too bulky to store in dressers, wastes too much space. And yet hanging them stretches them out and leaves awful hanger marks in the shoulders.

The clear hanger bags also allow for quick browsing to see what one I want to wear.
Fat apples!! Start with cold apples that have been refrigerated for at least an hour. Place wide popsicle sticks in the apples- about halfway down the apple.
Dip apples in caramel (I heat equal parts butter and brown sugar to 300 degrees) and place on waxed paper. Chill in fridge for ten minutes.
Melt chocolate chips.
Drip and drizzle the chocolate over the apples. Chill for ten minutes.
Spoon a ring of caramel over the top of the apples and let it drizzle over the chocolate. Drizzle any remaining chocolate over the sides. The apples are well chilled already, so no need to put in fridge between now.
Roll in nuts, almonds, sprinkles...whatever you like.
YUM!

4 comments:

Laurel said...

I love that the girle has made friends with the neighbor's horses, and that they obviously enjoy her company too. What a sweet experience for her, and you even have pictures for the memory.

Those apples look amazing. Caramel apples with nuts are my favorite treat to get at any fair. Keep the deep fried Snickers etc. - just a good, old-fashioned caramel apple with nuts for me, please!

Walking on Sunshine... said...

Those apples look delicious! AND I've never had one! I need to think about changing that status. Love the sweater idea! I hardly have any sweaters. I know, I'm strange. I always think they make me look heavy. But hubby has a bunch and a few don't look too good so I'm going to try your idea!!! Glad Girlie found her horse!

~Tablescapes By Diane~ said...

Hi lovely lady.
I love your neighbor's white horses so Beautiful like white snow...
The Apples look so yummy.. I wish I had one right now to eat. I hope you are having a great day Blondee!!
Thanks so much for your sweet comments on my new post so sweet of you.
XXOO Diane

Lora said...

those photos of the horses are so beautiful!!